Using Health and Safety Executive figures an electrical fatality could cost around £1.6 million (2015) A poorly implemented project could cost an organisation millions in lost production. By carrying out Technical Due Diligence in the early stages of project Implementation a company can save Millions by removing the unnecessary scope, materials and managing engineering costs. Having an Electrical Technical Authority help you avoid these events costs as little as £4995 per year. It’s good business to manage your electrical risk.
Businesses are carrying less Chartered Engineers, relying on personnel that do not have adequate knowledge of electricity and electrical engineering good practice.
The role of the Technical Authority is to identify and advise businesses on where they are exposed to risk and to help them to reduce their exposure by ensuring that control/management systems are in place and effective.
If your business carries risk in the following areas you could benefit from involving Electrical Safety UK in a Technical Authority role?
• Legislative Compliance: Electricity at Work; Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres; Provision and Use of Work Equipment; Machinery Safety; Fire Safety
• Projects: engineering standards; acceptance testing; design reviews • Competency Management of staff and suppliers: Authorisations; minimum requirements; auditing
• Maintenance: Asset management; predictive/preventative; condition-based; obsolescence; ageing plant
• Electrical Safety Management: Electric Shock and Arc Flash; Electrical Safety Rules; Instructions on other subjects: Excavations; Hazardous Areas; Electrical testing; Isolation and Immobilisation
• Technical assessment of suppliers: the HSE’s intelligent customer
• Reliability and loss of supply on electrical networks What can ESUK do? ESUK can offer an annual service providing clients peace of mind when required. Acting as a business’ Technical Authority in specific areas of interest or more generally advising on risk and management of risk.
Up to a maximum of 50 Hours of Principal Consultant Engineer support or consultancy in a Technical Authority capacity over a 12- month period. (If maximum hours are reached within the 12-month period, additional hours will be charged at a rate of £165 per hour up to the expiry date)
• General technical support & advice
• Meetings, either on the client’s site*, ESUK offices or Online; Emails; Telephone calls
• Reviewing/critiquing documentation
• Amendments & updates to company policies, procedures or safety rules
• Tender support & advice
• Technical design support
* Any travel time and expense costs will be converted into manhours (at a rate of £100 per hour) and deducted from the remaining support contract hours or if the annual hours are exhausted they will be invoiced for separately. Expenses and travel time will be submitted for approval on time sheets for the client’s approval at Electrical Safety UK’s standard expense and travel time rates.